Posted in My Makes

Floral Tapestry Skirt

It has taken me a disgustingly long amount of time to write up this project, which was completed at the start of April. April!

But in my defence, I had my second-year exams, which were stressful, followed by a lot of partying through the night, which was tiring for different reasons. Let’s just say I’ve been busy.

But I’m now back home for the summer, with enough time on my hands to revisit the April project. It’s the New Look K6107 pattern, view E, which I found in a charity shop for £1. Bargain! It’s supposed to be a close-fitting pencil skirt, but has turned out slightly more like an A-line shape. This was partially deliberate, as I graded out a size for the hips. I also made the hem a bit deeper than the instructions suggested, so that my skirt is a bit shorter. And I really, really love it!

The fabric is a tapestry floral from the Sew Over It online shop. It’s completely and utterly gorgeous. It has a really nice weight and is excellent for garments that require a bit of structure, like pencil or A-line skirts. It also sews very nicely – and the best part? It was wide enough that I only needed to buy a metre! One thing I would say though is that it frays like mad. I zig-zagged all the edges as soon as I cut the pattern pieces out, but in some cases it wasn’t soon enough. I would touch the fabric, even just brush against it, and it would crumble away! It was a relief to get all the main pieces sewn together, just so I could rest easy that the whole skirt wasn’t going to turn to dust.

The pattern was fairly straightforward and easy to follow, especially as I’d made a couple of other similar skirts before (main pieces sewn into a waistband and a zip attached). This meant I finished it in two days – not quite a dress in a day, but not bad! I think the only thing I’d change is the top of the zip: because the fabric was quite bulky, and there were a lot of layers at the waistband, the top of the zip ended up looking, well, a little bit messy. Somewhat car-crash like. So if I did the skirt again, I’d probably sew in the zip before the waistband facing. Or, y’know, use a thinner fabric. But where would be the fun in that?

I’m very pleased with the result. It’s quite smart paired with a pussy-bow blouse, as below, but when my year without shopping finishes I think I’ll buy a chambray shirt to wear it with. And I’m hoping it will also go well with the Breton top I’m planning to make imminently. So a big tick in the success box for this tapestry skirt!

Tapestry skirt
For some reason the lighting changed dramatically in the seconds between these photos

Let another summer of crafting begin!

Advertisements

Author:

Hello! I'm Hannah and I'm a Classics undergrad at Cambridge. I spend most of the time which I should be spending on my degree crocheting and sewing instead.

2 thoughts on “Floral Tapestry Skirt

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s